Organizers deny J. Lo cancelled plans to visit KKTC July 5, 2010Posted by Yilan in Cyprus.
Tags: Cypriot Turks, Jennifer Lopez, KKTC, Turkey
Cratos Premium Hotel board of directors chairman Murat Bozoğlu has dismissed reports in the Greek Cypriot media that world-famous American singer and actress Jennifer Lopez has cancelled her plans to attend the grand opening of their hotel in Girne (Kyrenia) on July 20, saying Lopez has signed a contract to take part in the event.
Bozoğlu ruled out reports on Saturday that the American singer has canceled her plans to travel to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (KKTC) in a written statement, while confirming speculation that Greek Cypriots attempted to block Lopez’s visit to Turkish Cyprus.
The Greek Simerini daily reported last week that Lopez’s KKTC visit was canceled thanks to lobbying by Greeks in the US. “It is true that Greeks put pressure on Lopez not to visit to Turkish Cyprus. Of course, she was affected by the pressure. She even receives threats from Greeks. In effect, she has certain hesitation. However, there is a contract that is signed by the actress,” Bozoğlu said.
Noting that they signed an agreement with Lopez three days ago, Bozoğlu said the Cratos Premium Hotel is the biggest tourism investment on the island. He added that Premium Gala night will be broadcast live to 193 countries in the world by Fashion TV and this significant tourism event is not only important for the promotion of the Turkish Cyprus, but also for the whole island. The Cyprus Action Network of America (CANA) urged its community to call, fax and email the William Morris Agency in New York that represents Lopez to urge her “not to visit Turkish-occupied Cyprus.”
The diaspora organization also underlined the fact that the Lopez’s arrival in the KKTC is set for July 20 — the 36th anniversary of the Turkish intervention in Cyprus to protect the ethnic Turkish population following a Greek-inspired military coup d’état that advocated unification of the island with Greece.